[Nut-upsuser] ups does not reboot itself

dmanye dmanye at urv.cat
Mon Jul 20 09:41:03 UTC 2015

El 18/07/15 a les 17:03, Charles Lepple ha escrit:
> On Jul 17, 2015, at 9:42 AM, dmanye <dmanye at urv.cat> wrote:
>
>> so i reinstalled again... but instead of using four separate partitions for /, /usr, /var and /tmp, put all the stuff under an unique / partition and... it works! why exactly? no idea, because if i'm not wrong, nut sensitive stuff is under /lib, /sbin, /etc...
> Please file a bug with Debian - I thought that multiple partitions worked?
>
> However, I wonder if something got broken with having /var on a separate partition. NUT stores some files in /var/run/nut but on my wheezy setup, /var/run is a symlink to /run (on tmpfs) so there shouldn't be an issue. Does 'lsof' show any references to /var that would prevent proper shutdown?

hello,

i've repeated the installation process. my partman preseed setup
contains separate partitions for
     /
     /boot
     /usr
     /var
     /tmp

with this setup, issuing the command 'upsmon -c fsd' stops the server
but does not make the ups 'reboot' the output outlets.

i've repeated the installation without a separate partition for /var (so
/var is contained in / partition) and the result is the same. so /var
seems not to be the problem.

i've repeated the installation without a separate partition for /usr (so
/usr is contained in / partition) and the result is that now it works:
the server is stopped and the ups is 'rebooted'.

i did all these tests using the default systemd, and also replacing it
with sysvinit. the results were the same independently of the init
system used.

looking at my /etc/rc0.d, nut client and server have number 01 and
filesystems (not root) are unmounted at 06, root is unmounted at 07 and
finally in 08 system is halted / poweroff.  these numbers depend on the
services installed on the system, but the order should be the same. if
/usr is in a separate partition, it is unmounted at 07 (and
"disappears"). if it is within /, in 08 it is still there because root
is not unmounted, it is just mounted read-only.

i think the problem is that the nut stop scripts does not trigger the
ups reboot *before* finishing and before the stop system pass to the
next level. the process to trigger the reboot is done in parallel with
the system shutdown and if /usr is gone it fails to reboot the ups.

what do you think? am i wrong?

thanks.