[Nut-upsuser] SSL only working in DEBUG mode

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:37:44 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Melkor Lord <melkor.lord at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent quite some time pulling my hair out and trying to figure out why NUT
> wasn't working properly with SSL enabled. I tried several approaches until I
> found something interesting.
>
> I'm using NUT 2.7.1 in Ubuntu Server 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for taking the time to write up this bug report.

Just for reference, what are the full versions of the packages?
(including the .deb revisions)

for instance:
$ dpkg-query -W  nut-server libnss3 libnspr4
libnspr4:i386    2:4.10.7-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
libnss3:i386    2:3.17.4-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
nut-server    2.7.1-1ubuntu1

> After properly configuring a self signed certificate with "certutil" from
> libnss3-tools, there was no way to get proper SSL connection eventhough upsd
> didn't complain in logs.

I was able to reproduce this on a version of Linux Mint corresponding
to Ubuntu 14.04. I got the same results with both the default
2.7.1-1ubuntu1 package, as well as a build from the Git master branch.

To be honest, I haven't exercised the NSS code much. I usually build
for OpenSSL on my development machines (since I am not distributing
the binaries), and even then, I don't use the SSL code if I am just
testing a new driver.

But given the large amount of testing that went into the NSS branch, I
am somewhat surprised at this. The test plan doesn't specify exactly
how to start upsd:

   http://www.networkupstools.org/tmp/NUT-NSS_Mini_DVT_exec10Oct2012-FBohe.pdf

although it doesn't specify using debug mode, either.

Also, the Ubuntu test script does not pass "-D" to upsd:

   http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/qa-regression-testing/master/view/head:/scripts/test-nut.py

I will try to test this on some other OSes.

- Charles Lepple