[Nut-upsuser] Question about NUT config

Tony Harris nethfel at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:08:41 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've been doing some searching, but I am not able to find what I'm looking
for so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have NUT installed and connected to my UPS, although not configured to do
anything yet.  I have 2 clusters that I need to shutdown in a specific
order to make sure it is all powered down correctly - I know it probably
needs to happen through the scripting, but I am not sure how to implement
it.

Cluster 1 is storage
Cluster 2 is vm hosts

The vm hosts need to be shut down first (all of the hosts at once sent a
shutdown command is fine) when there is at least 6 minutes left on the
battery backup powering the storage cluster

Once the VM hosts are shut down or when the batteries are down to 3
minutes, the storage cluster needs to:

Properly stop the network storage - once that process completes, send a
shutdown to all of the storage nodes.

The UPS is connected to one of the storage cluster nodes, and I am able to
communicate with it (so I know that part is setup properly); Should I setup
the other nodes as slaves or just create a command line script on the
master to go in sequence shutting everything down?  If I set them up as
slaves, I'm not sure how to setup NUT to tell specific slaves to shutdown
in a specific order...

Any tips for this NUT noob would be greatly appreciated!

-Tony