[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups dying, consistently

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 03:47:12 UTC 2015

On Nov 20, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Nicholas Leippe <leippe at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1389.279158     Trying to match device
> 1389.279164     Device matches
> 1389.279169     failed to claim USB device: Device or resource busy
> 1389.279175     failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: No such file or directory

Can you check around and see if anyone else has any wisdom on this error message? I vaguely recall trying to track this down, and not finding the ENOENT error in the kernel code.

> upsdrvctl is not noticing this exit, so the openrc service scripts get into a stuck state also--I have to stop, then zap the upsdrv service before I can start it again.
> Each time it works fine for some non-deterministic amount of time then dies.

So the usbhid-ups driver is no longer running at that point? upsdrvctl just starts the driver(s) - it does not stick around, at least not in the default NUT configuration. I am not familiar with openrc, but in general, making the init system track one or more driver PIDs in a generic fashion is an unsolved problem.

That said, I'm wondering if NUT is retrying too quickly. (The default retry works fine for an older MGE on a slightly-less-old Soekris box running BSD - it reconnects about once every day or two. But I don't have any Gentoo boxes or 4.x kernels to test against at the moment.)

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail