[Nut-upsuser] Can this be done with NUT? (ordered shutdown, revisited)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:45:40 UTC 2015

On Oct 6, 2015, at 5:40 AM, Steffen Grunewald <Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> What I currently tried:
> - I found a longish discussion on this list, dating back to six years
>  ago: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2009-February/004772.html
>  In particular, Marco's requirements look quite similar to ours, but
>  there was apparently no solution (back then). I mayhave missed a later
>  continuation though.

Right, I don't think the "ignorelb" flag was added to drivers until 2011.

> - Use multiple drivers, with override.battery.charge.low set to various
>  levels - or "dummy-ups" repeaters with the same modification
> - Let client groups upsmon-read one of those "virtual" UPSes
>
> What I found:
> - upsd obviously doesn't calculate LB itself (even if charge.low is set
>  to 105.00 for testing purposes). Does this only happen on OB, or does
>  upsd do no calculations at all?
>  Apparently, ordered handling of multiple shutdown conditions cannot be
>  done this way?

Also correct that upsd does not calculate LB, but the drivers can do what you are describing if the "ignorelb" flag is set. Using dummy-ups in repeater mode does sound like a good option.

Another potential hitch: while you can override LB, I haven't looked into overriding OB. So for testing, it might be necessary to have a copy of dummy ups reading from a file, in place of the actual snmp-ups driver.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail