[Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Wed Sep 9 13:40:25 UTC 2015

Charles,

dmesg doesn't say anything when "usbhid-ups -a rtdups -k" is executed.

I'm not sure which USB lib it compiled against.  I installed them via "zypper install libusb-*".   I'll try to find the version that got installed, as that WOULD be one thing that might have changed since the last time I had this working.

I'm not sure how to check for multiple usbhid-ups running (it's not a driver module, so not lsmod, and ps just returns what I am grepping for), but I do not think there are as I've encountered this problem even after a clean reinstall and starting from scratch.

I might go try Porteus 3.1 because I got it working fully and easily on that as well "back in the day", and if it fails there too, then maybe my USB implementation on the UPS is off somehow.

Rob Groner
Software Engineer Level II

RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc.
ISO 9001 and AS9100 Certified
Ph: +1 814-234-8087
www.rtd.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Lepple [mailto:clepple at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 6:53 PM
To: Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com>
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

On Sep 8, 2015, at 4:48 PM, Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com> wrote:

>   0.005927	Device matches
>   0.005940	failed to claim USB device: Device or resource busy
>   0.005954	failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: No such file or directory

Rob,

this is a bit of a tough one to track down.

The "Device or resource busy" message can either come from a kernel driver (usbhid, etc.) or from another userspace program. The simplest thing is to check for other copies of usbhid-ups (at the point when you run '<driver> -k', it is expected that most processes will have terminated).

If it isn't that, you may need to verify whether you are compiling against libusb-0.1.x, or libusb+libusb-compat. In theory, it shouldn't make any difference, but in practice, there might be subtle differences in error messages that could help narrow things down.

Also, what does 'dmesg' say around the time that you run the driver?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail