[Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

Tim Dawson tadawson at tpcsvc.com
Tue Sep 22 19:55:35 UTC 2015

Rob -

Just stepping in from the sidelines . . . with a few tidbits.

Nut uses pkgconfig to find and identify stuff as part of it's build . .
. So, depending on where your libusb install went, if it wasn't in the
default "PKG_CONFIG_PATH" setting, it won't be found.  Much like other
shell variables, you can adjust that setting to find anything you like .
. .
IE PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/new/component;export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH (or as appropriate for the shell you use).

Keep in mind that this is *NOT* the path where the library (.so or .a
file) lives, but typically a directory *below* that with the pkgconfig
.pc files, typically "pkgconfig".  These .pc files tell the build system
what is available, and what version they are, so for libusb on my system
here libusb.pc (located in /usr/lib, PKG_CONFIG_DIR is
/usr/lib/pkgconfig) is:

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: libusb
Version: 0.1.12
Libs: -L${libdir} -lusb
Cflags: -I${includedir}

This may help make sense of what version report, and how stuff gets
found.  Then again, if you already know this, sorry . . .

- Tim