[Nut-upsuser] UPS/NUT with openSUSE 13.1

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 00:19:48 UTC 2015

On Sep 22, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Rob Groner <rgroner at RTD.com> wrote:

> So, here is what I think I know:
>
> NUT is using the libusb-1.0.20 library, by way of the libusb-compat layer.  When I check the configure log, it says "libusb-0.1.12"  I'm not sure why it says that, as in where it gets that value, as that version doesn't correspond to anything I installed.  I see looking at the last version of libusb-0.1 that was available, it was libusb-0.1.12, so it must be getting that version number from the libusb-compat layer, as I did not install the old libusb-0.1.12 on this last test.
>
> After installing libusb-1.0 and the libusb-compat layer and rebuilding NUT...it still doesn't work (as in, the shutdown command is not passed to the UPS due to can't claim message for USB).
>
> I could try reinstalling openSUSE and installing the old libusb-0.1.12 and see if that works.  Perhaps it is the compat layer or the new libusb-1.0 that is the problem.

This is the crux of the libusb-1.0 problem for NUT: a lot of time has been spent making things work with libusb-0.1 and the kernel, and now, instead of three moving pieces, we have four (counting NUT itself, with the addition of libusb-compat in the middle).

> ./configure --with-usb --with-dev --with-usb-includes=-I/usr/local/include --with-usb-libs=-L/usr/local/lib64

As I am not familiar with openSUSE's ldconfig, is there an /etc/ld.so.conf or /etc/ld.so.conf.d/* entry pointing to /usr/local/lib64? I am not sure if libusb-0.1 tries to rerun ldconfig after installing, but if after uninstalling libusb-compat, there are problems linking to the real libusb-0.1, then it can't hurt to re-run ldconfig (as root).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail