[Nut-upsuser] OSX and USB issue

ldnjak at gmail.com ldnjak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:56:16 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I’ve spend a LOT of time reading and trying many versions, from Fink to Brew and also compiling source.

OSX 10.11.3

NUT: v2.7.4

Driver: nutdrv_atcl_usb

I have the same problem that has been reported, that Mac OSX grabs the USB device so NUT can’t use it.

 0.001924	Starting UPS: UDups
   0.001956	1 remaining attempts
   0.001966	exec:  /sw/lib/nut/nutdrv_atcl_usb -a UDups -u root
Network UPS Tools - 'ATCL FOR UPS' USB driver 1.1 (2.7.4)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Communications with UPS lost: Can't open USB device, retrying ...
Communications with UPS lost: Can't open USB device, retrying ...
Communications with UPS lost: Can't open USB device, retrying ...
Unable to find ATCL FOR UPS

I know there has been discussion of 10.11.x having some USB issues, but I’ve also seen a few posts that people have got this working (but not said how)

The ‘fudge’ of using a dummy kext no longer works as its not singed, so 10.11 won’t load it.

I realise I won’t get much in the way of reporting from this driver which is fine, just the OL OB status I can capture and the automate reporting it back.

So, does anyone has a definitive guide on how to get this working on OSX, I don’t like giving up on things and not getting them working!

Thanks in advance.

J.