[Nut-upsuser] OSX and USB issue

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:45:44 UTC 2016

> We have talked about making the USB backend a bit more flexible (to be able to use native HID code such as the OS X interfaces), but that will take a fair amount of design and testing.

This is one of the libraries that might be useful for connecting to an UPS on OS X without kexts:

http://www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi/

Using TestGUI.app, I was able to get some basic information back from a CyberPower UPS on 10.10.

A shortcut for testing is to clone the repository, check out an old version, and run the embedded binary:

$ git clone https://github.com/signal11/hidapi.git
$ cd hidapi
$ git checkout hidapi-0.7.0
$ open testgui/TestGUI.app

Choose your UPS from the list, and click Connect. It should not be necessary to send reports or feature requests to the UPS - a sequence of 8-byte hex values should show up in the bottom box in a few seconds.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail