[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups dying, consistently

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 00:08:15 UTC 2016

On Dec 31, 2015, at 6:54 PM, Nicholas Leippe <leippe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Other than the reconnection attempts, usbhid-ups only fully opens the UPS USB device once.
>>
> This is then what confuses me, because it *works* and then dies. If it opens it only once, then why would it fail opening it again--wouldn't it just hold it open and continue to work? It's never failing to start, it's failing to continue working.

It holds it open for as long as it can. The "Got to reconnect!" message is when the driver decides that an error is sufficiently fatal to disconnect and reconnect:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/usbhid-ups.c#L803

It is possible that EIO is only temporary, but we would need to add some more logging code to verify that theory.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail