[Nut-upsuser] How to disable hal-addon-hid-ups

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:08:59 UTC 2016

On Nov 11, 2016, at 1:01 PM, Stuart Gathman wrote:

> I've tried several recipes found with google, but hal likes to grab the
> USB ups before nut can get it.
> There are a number of klugey workarounds, like turn off port power until
> ready to start nut (so that hal doesn't see the UPS).  Or
> killall hal-addon-hid-ups before starting nut.

Minor nit, but for anyone else using an exact match search interface (like packages.ubuntu.com), note that there is a "d" after "hal": hald-addon-hid-ups

> Here is one of recipes I googled:
> https://github.com/sdgathman/trippfix/blob/master/halpolicy.fdi

What if you convert the USB ID numbers to decimal?

        <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="2748">
          <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="12310">

Ref: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253856

> It doesn't work - hal still loads the addon - preventing nut upsdrvctl
> from succeeding.  I'm thinking the killall is the least dirty
> workaround, but what is the right way to tell hal not to mess with the
> UPS (or any UPS for that matter).

This sounds a lot like what this file was designed to do:

  https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/scripts/upower/95-upower-hid.rules

(It is auto-generated from all of the NUT drivers at release time.)

Is this CentOS? Which version?