[Nut-upsuser] Panic timeout?

Dark Penguin darkpenguin at yandex.ru
Wed Sep 7 09:53:07 UTC 2016

First of all, please forgive me is this question has already been
covered in these mailing lists; the "Search mailing list" link is dead,
and I've only read the most recent monthly archives.

I often have a situation where, for one of many possible reasons, the
UPS always thinks that its battery is critical. And I'm even fine with a
situation when it's an emergency shutdown right from the beginning.

However, every once in a while my UPS (APC SU1000) likes to do short
self-tests, and sometimes my AC power blinks for a split second. Neither
of those are of any concern, but they make the UPS go into "OB LB" state
for a few seconds. And just because of something insignificant like
this, my whole system goes down.

Is there a way to set a timeout for "how long to wait after seeing "OB
LB" before raising the FSD flag"? I want NUT to be a bit less hasty, and
only shut down if it sees "OB LB" for at lest ten or even twenty
seconds. I can easily spare ten more seconds of the critical state, but
I want to avoid everything going down because of one second in the
critical state. (That would also allow me to "train" the UPS much easier
by cutting the power and knowing that I have a few seconds to turn it
back on once the UPS goes to emergency beeping.)

I thought that's what FINALDELAY on the master is for: upon seeing "OB
LB", wait for n seconds before deciding that now the time has come to
start the shutdown. I also thought that's what HOSTSYNC on the slaves is
for: if we're critical, but the master still hasn't raised the FSD flag
- then wait a little more and don't panic, unless the master went ahead
and killed itself. However, what I observe is: the UPS goes into
"critical" for just a moment; both master and slaves notice it and tell
the users that they should prepare for shutdown; the next moment, the
power comes back, but 20 seconds later (FINALDELAY) everything still
goes down while the power is actually perfectly fine. (I have set the
polling interval on both master and slaves to one second to ensure they
don't miss the news about power returning in the last moment.)

I use Debian Stable (Jessie) with NUT 2.7.2-4 from the repo and an APC
SU1000.

--
darkpenguin