[Nut-upsuser] New powercom device?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:40:13 UTC 2017

On Aug 16, 2017, at 8:36 PM, Harlan Stenn <harlan at pfcs.com> wrote:

>> Is it possible that you just need to load the usbserial kernel
>> module, and bind it to the UPS' 0d9f:0002 ID? Then the /dev/ttyUSB*
>> port can be passed to the "powercom" driver. (This is suggested by
>> http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?manufacturer=Powercom&connection=USB
>> )
>
> OK, thanks!  I read up about the stuff in the last paragraph, and it's
> not clear to me what I need to do to test this out.
>
> % ls /lib/modules/`uname r`/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/
> ch341.ko  cp210x.ko  ftdi_sio.ko
> % lsusb
> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0d9f:0002 Powercom Co., Ltd Black Knight PRO /
> WOW Uninterruptible Power Supply (Cypress HID->COM RS232)
> Bus 004 Device 001: ... root hub
> %
>
> The debian docs say:  Look at the output of lsusb, and if it identifies
> the serial device, try installing the appropriate driver using modprobe.
> Then tell it about the new nyumber using "echo VENDOR PRODUCT
>> /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/DRIVER"
>
> So any pointers on what I should do next would be appreciated.

In case you haven't done this, unplug and re-plug the USB cable after stopping usbhid-ups - that driver temporarily detaches any existing kernel drivers.

This post indicates that it might be the cypress_m8 driver: https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-October/006260.html

Is it possible that the Cypress driver is built in to your kernel, or is there another potential modules directory? Both Debian jessie and stretch seem to have the module: https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=cypress_m8&mode=filename&suite=oldstable&arch=any