[Nut-upsuser] SNMPv3 fails when more than one UPS is configured in ups.conf

Lee Damon nomad at ee.washington.edu
Mon Dec 4 18:26:32 UTC 2017

I've told systemd to wait up to 10 minutes for startup but it's still
failing. Sometimes it fails with "timeout exceeded" and sometimes with
the ASN error previously reported.

I went back to running upsdrvctl -D to see if I could see anything. On
the third run I saw messages about "startup timer elapsed" for ups2-1
and then it tried again to launch that one (killing the existing one).
It did this multiple times. When trying to systemd I see a bunch of
zombie processes that used to be snmp-ups for one of ups2-1 or ups3-1
(depending on the run).

I'm trying again with
 /etc/systemd/system/nut-driver.service.d/nut-driver.conf set to:
  [Service]
  TimeoutSec=600
and
 /etc/ups/ups.conf having
  maxretry = 10
  retrydelay = 15

This time ps shows three apparently happy snmp-ups processes but
upsdrvctl start is still showing up. ... and then everything vanishes
but systemd doesn't complain. journalctl -xe shows a good startup then
claims nut-driver.service isn't needed anymore and shuts it down:

Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] snmp-ups[14578]: Startup successful
Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] upsdrvctl[14556]: Network UPS Tools - UPS
driver controller 2.7.2
Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] systemd[1]: Started Network UPS Tools - power
device driver controller.