[Nut-upsuser] Debian 9 : Can't open /etc/nut/upsd.users: Permission denied

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Dec 10 17:48:14 UTC 2017

On December 10, 2017 4:55:51 PM GMT+01:00, Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Dec 2017, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
>> Either way, the default permissions are under the packager's control,
>so
>> I would recommend that you file a bug with Debian:
>> https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting (feel free to mention the bug
>> number here)
>
>Debian Bug Tracker told me that the URL is
>https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=884021.
>
>Roger

I am not sure the rights offered in that bug are fully ok: generally you wouldn't want the configs to be writable by the service daemon if you can avoid it (so if it's hacked - it can be abused to a lesser extent). I think the only writable bit is the killpower file, which might better belong in /var/run/nut or state-dir or something like that. Maybe something for nut-cgi needs writes? Otherwise root:nut 640 should be good, IMHO. Maybe even different users for server/driver/clients, for paranoid setups...

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android