[Nut-upsuser] Apple Mac slave

Robbie van der Walle rvanderwalle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:06:07 UTC 2017

> When you carry out tests to ensure that the setup is working well, you will pull the power cord from the wall and wait until the UPS reaches LB. This means waiting and wasting time.  You can speed up the testing by setting LB very high so that the UPS reaches it quickly.  Later you can set a more reasonable value.

After the first test and the NAS is restarted I had to change the setting battery.charge.low again to 80

> On most UPS units, there is a light which goes out.  Some produce an audible clunk as the relays disconnect the UPS power outlets. You could also connect a light bulb to a protected outlet.  It should go out when the UPS shuts down.

The APC produced an audible clunk. So the UPS was shutdown. I am not sure it was after 20 seconds. I have to clock that.

> Example test:
>
> 1. Pull power cord from wall
>
> 2. UPS beeps, NAS and Mac continue operation
>
> 3. Users are warned that power has failed
>
> 4. When the battery drops to battery.charge.low the slave (Mac) and then the master (NAS) shutdown.
>
> 5. After 20 seconds the UPS shuts down.
>
> 6. Reconnect the wall power
>
> 7. NAS and Mac should restart

Result test 1

1. Pull power cord from wall. — OK

2. UPS beeps, NAS and Mac continue operation

3. Users from the NAS are warned, not yet the Mac user.  Only when executing automatic power-fail shutdown.

4. Yes, Both the Mac and NAS shutdown. Only the Mac shutdown so fast that it looks like pressing the off button. The NAS I have to check if it was in safe-mode some how.

5. The UPS shuts down. I heard an audible clunk.

6. Reconnect the wall power — OK

7. No they didn’t restart. I know there is a setting on the NAS to activate this. I will check and try again.

This is what is reported from the terminal on the Mac:

-----
Broadcast Message from <user>@<computer name>
        (/dev/ttys001) at 21:30 CEST...

Executing automatic power-fail shutdown
———

and

———

sudo upsmon -D

Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.7.4
kill: No such process
   0.000000	UPS: ups@<ip address>  (slave) (power value 1)
   0.000718	Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
   0.001192	debug level is '1'
   0.008274	Trying to connect to UPS [ups@<ip adddress>]
   0.009866	Logged into UPS ups@<ip adddress>
 290.089253	Critical UPS: ups@<ip adddress>
 290.089313	Shutting down any UPSes in MASTER mode...
 290.089322	Executing automatic power-fail shutdown

Broadcast Message from <user>@<computer name>
        (/dev/ttys001) at 21:30 CEST...

Executing automatic power-fail shutdown

Kind regards,