[Nut-upsuser] Apple Mac slave

Robbie van der Walle rvanderwalle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:46:26 UTC 2017

>> After the first test and the NAS is restarted I had to change the setting battery.charge.low again to 80
>
> Does the NAS DSM reset battery.charge.low to 10 or is it internal to the UPS?  You will have to experiment by disconnecting the UPS control lead from the NAS and connecting it (if possible) to the Mac.  After setting to 80 and a power off-on cycle is the value 80 or 10?

Ok I will have try this.  I am also searching on the NAS if it set somehow.

>> 3. Users from the NAS are warned, not yet the Mac user.  Only when executing automatic power-fail shutdown.
>
> In upsmon.conf on the Mac, what are the values of NOTIFYMSG ONBATT and NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT?  Does program wall work on the Mac? It fails on a lot of Linux boxes with graphical interfaces - to get a message to the user, you have to use notify-send, which means setting up upssched.

# NOTIFYMSG ONLINE	"UPS %s on line power"
# NOTIFYMSG ONBATT	"UPS %s on battery"
# NOTIFYMSG LOWBATT	"UPS %s battery is low"
# NOTIFYMSG FSD		"UPS %s: forced shutdown in progress"
# NOTIFYMSG COMMOK	"Communications with UPS %s established"
# NOTIFYMSG COMMBAD	"Communications with UPS %s lost"
# NOTIFYMSG SHUTDOWN	"Auto logout and shutdown proceeding"
# NOTIFYMSG REPLBATT	"UPS %s battery needs to be replaced"
# NOTIFYMSG NOCOMM	"UPS %s is unavailable"
# NOTIFYMSG NOPARENT	"upsmon parent process died - shutdown impossible"

NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG FSD EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG NOPARENT SYSLOG

> Does program wall work on the Mac?

file testwall:

hallo

tried: wall testwall and result:

Broadcast Message from
        (/dev/ttys002) at 11:28 CEST...

hallo

So wall work in a terminal only.

> It fails on a lot of Linux boxes with graphical interfaces - to get a message to the user, you have to use notify-send, which means setting up upssched.

# NOTIFYCMD <command>
#
# upsmon calls this to send messages when things happen
#
# This command is called with the full text of the message as one argument.
# The environment string NOTIFYTYPE will contain the type string of
# whatever caused this event to happen.
#
# Note that this is only called for NOTIFY events that have EXEC set with
# NOTIFYFLAG.  See NOTIFYFLAG below for more details.
#
# Making this some sort of shell script might not be a bad idea.  For more
# information and ideas, see pager.txt in the docs directory.
#
# Example:
# NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/ups/bin/notifyme

NOTIFYCMD /sw/sbin/upssched

Results second test 1 after changing on NAS, Control Panel Hardware & Power, Power recovery, Restart automatically after a power failure. And changing on the Mac, system preferences, energy saver, start up automatically after a power failure.

1 Pull power cord

2 Ups beeps NAS and Mac work

3 NAS users warned. Mac not

4 low bat, first slave Mac shutdown.  Than Master NAS shutdown. ( report in log NAS, server is on battery, server going to safe shutdown)

5 UPS shutdown after 29 seconds.

6 reconnect power

7 NAS now starts up but Mac doesn’t

Kind Regards,