[Nut-upsuser] NUT - General Concept Question

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Fri Mar 3 13:02:37 UTC 2017

> I think you would need a level-shifter to do RS-232 serial with a RPi, and
> you may need to fiddle with the cable if modem control lines are involved,
> but it should be possible.

To solve the level shifting problem I've used the following little card
from SparkFun Electronics.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189

This is being used for a Tripp-Lite which didn't require modem control
signals if I recall correctly.

--Larry

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> several USB UPSes monitored by one upsd.
>
> From there, you have a number of choices for polling the data from upsd.
>
> NUT comes with "upsmon", a basic shutdown/alerting tool, but you can
> always define the shutdown command to be something innocuous like
> /bin/true, and/or give each UPS a "power value" of zero. You can use upsmon
> for "raw" notifications - reporting an event as soon as it happens,
> basically. If you want to "de-bounce" an event (that is, only send an email
> if the power is out for more than 30 seconds), you can configure upsmon to
> call "upssched" to start a timer, and trigger an action if the timer hasn't
> been stopped.
>
>  * http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.html and
> http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.conf.html
>
>  * http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upssched.html and
> http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upssched.conf.html
>
> It has been a while since I last set up the NUT CGI components, but I
> suspect you can just list each UPS in the template for upsstats, and add in
> upsimage references where you want graphs:
>
>  * http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/
> ar01s02.html#_cgi_programs
>  * http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsstats.cgi.html
>  * http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsimage.cgi.html
>
> You can ignore upsset for a read-only dashboard.
>
> We don't have a lot more documentation on the CGI scripts (other than
> reference material), so if you don't feel comfortable setting this up from
> scratch, you might want to see if any of the monitoring systems listed here
> would be quicker to configure for your dashboard idea:
> http://networkupstools.org/projects.html#_network_management_systems_nms_
> integration
>
> (I personally use collectd, since it gathers stats on other subsystems
> that I care about in addition to NUT. I either use kcollectd to view the
> RRD files locally in X, or I have set up collection3.cgi for remote
> viewing.)
>
> You could probably configure the monitoring system to alert you to various
> UPS conditions as well.
>
> One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you can prototype all of
> this by using the dummy-ups driver. This driver simply reads values
> repeatedly from a file, and you can edit that file to simulate events like
> short power glitches. Again, you can consult the DDL site listed above to
> pull sample values for a model similar to one that is deployed, and test
> the entire driver/upsd/upsmon stack on a laptop or VM without needing
> actual UPS hardware. If you use an automation system like Ansible, it
> should be fairly easy to create templates for all of the configuration
> files (including setup of the RPi nodes), and just change the host list
> when it is time to deploy to the production system.
>
> Let us know how it goes.
>
> (opinions are my own - I do not speak for my employer, etc, etc.)

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com