[Nut-upsuser] [HCL] Cyber Power Systems EC750G supported by usbhid-ups [UPS.Output.DelayBeforeShutdown]

Mike the.lists at mgm51.com
Sat Mar 4 18:41:07 UTC 2017

On 3/2/2017 9:57 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2016, at 11:14 AM, Mike <the.lists at mgm51.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>    0.207421	Path: UPS.Output.DelayBeforeShutdown, Type: Feature, ReportID: 0x15, Offset: 0, Size: 16, Value: -60
>
> I haven't been able to find any information on what a "-60" would signify. The value "-1" is used to cancel a timer, so maybe the internal timer is set in minutes, and read back with a times-60 scale factor?
>
> In that case, I would start by setting the "ups.delay.shutdown" and "ups.delay.start" variables to multiples of 60 seconds, and try the shutdown command without an argument. Using e.g. 120 and 180 will tell you whether the start timer is measured from the beginning or end of the shutdown timer. (Should be the latter, but no need to confuse the microcontroller any more than necessary.) If that works, we can figure out why the load.off.delay argument is being ignored.
>
> You should be able to read the timer for UPS.Output.DelayBeforeShutdown via the "ups.timer.shutdown" NUT variable.
>
> Also, when testing, you may want to make sure that you have some sort of dummy load on the UPS, such that "ups.load" is not zero. I am only vaguely familiar with the MGE power saving features - so I am extrapolating to CPS here - but I would not be surprised if the UPS ignored the shutdown delay if it doesn't think there is a load attached.

You were on to the correct solution with your hypothesis of the internal
timer being in minutes.

Going back to my original notes, I noticed a typo in my very first
message about this.  I had written the command I executed as:

 upscmd -u user -p password myups load.off.delay 300

when the actual command I executed was:

 upscmd -u user -p password myups load.off.delay 30

With that in mind, I tried the following command with no load:

 upscmd -u user -p password myups load.off.delay 30

and the UPS shut off immediately.  Using my new test setup, I wanted to
duplicate the results I had gotten previously.  They were duplicated.

Then I ran the command with no load:

 upscmd -u user -p password myups load.off.delay 60

and there was a 1 minute delay, then the UPS shut off.

For the rest of this message, I have a load on the UPS.

When I specify a 59 second delay on the command line, the UPS shuts off
immediately.

  59 second delay specified - immediate shutoff
  60 second delay specified - exactly one minute delay, then shutoff
  80 second delay specified - exactly one minute delay, then shutoff
 115 second delay specified - exactly one minute delay, then shutoff
 128 second delay specified - exactly two minute delay, then shutoff

So if I had to guess, I would offer that the UPS is doing an integer
divide by 60 on the number of seconds given by the command.  That is why
my request for a 30 (and 59) second delay resulted in no delay at all.

And here is the upsc command output for the UPS in question:

# upsc myups
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 1950
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 14.2
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: CPS
device.model: EC750G
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.4
driver.version.internal: 0.41
input.transfer.high: 140
input.transfer.low: 96
input.voltage: 118.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 118.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 21
ups.mfr: CPS
ups.model: EC750G
ups.productid: 0501
ups.realpower.nominal: 450
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.shutdown: -60
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.vendorid: 0764

As always, let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try...

Thanks for the assist!