[Nut-upsuser] MGE ESV+ and Power Trim

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:02:03 UTC 2017

Hi David and Charles

Le 3 mars 2017 2:35 PM, "Charles Lepple" <clepple at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 8:21 AM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 2, 2017, at 3:38 PM, David Baker <david at baker.im> wrote:
> >>
> >> I’ve read the documentation, and it would appear that this can be set
> by the U-Talk protocol (page 34 of http://networkupstools.org/pro
> tocols/mge/9261zwfa.pdf) but I can’t seem to figure out how to send the
> device the command, or manage to terminal into the unit (once disabling NUT
> services) and send the command.
> >>
> >> I think the command would be Lv 24000.
> >>
> > In theory, you could change the following line:
> >
> > https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.7.4/drivers/
> mge-utalk.h#L220
> >
> > from "{ "output.voltage", 0, 0, "Lv", "%05.1f", VOLT, TRUE },"
> >
> > to "{ "output.voltage", ST_FLAG_RW | ST_FLAG_STRING, 5, "Lv", "%05.1f",
> VOLT, TRUE },"
> >
> > This would allow you to use the "upsrw" command to set the voltage (with
> appropriate scaling).
> >
> > Do you have a development environment set up for the Raspberry Pi?
>
> Sorry, I think I read the protocol document too quickly.
>
> Is it maybe "Iv 24000" (inverter voltage)? It doesn't look like the
> current driver reads or writes the inverter settings.
>
> Arnaud, do you have any additional insight on the difference between
> setting output voltage and inverter voltage?

It's a long time since I've not dive into the UTalk code and devices. The
last time was more than a decade ago.Happy to see some ESV+ alive :)

Then, even reading the spec, I'm not sure what was the exact difference
between Lv and Iv, at least for a small UPS like ESV+.

So you can add the following line after "output.voltage in mge-utalk.h:

"{ "output.voltage.nominal", ST_FLAG_RW | ST_FLAG_STRING, 5, "Lv ?",
"%05.1f", VOLT, TRUE },"

By adding the above, you'll be able to have the nominal output voltage
reading and report (Lv ?) and to use upsrw to set nominal output voltage
(Lv 24000).
Please tell us back if the above works fine for you, so that we can update
the driver.
Otherwise, simply test by replacing the "Lv ?" with "Iv ?".

thanks and cheers,
Arno