[Nut-upsuser] new NUT release please!

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Sep 11 17:49:39 UTC 2017

Charles Lepple writes:

> On 11/9/17 1:56 am, Dutchman01 wrote:
> >
> > I request a new NUT release as current dates back to March 9, 2016: NUT
> 2.7.4
> >

> > The fact stays that not all distro’s use latest snapshots/commits from
> github dev tree.
> >

> Not all of the distros have moved to 2.7.4, either...
>
> As Sam alluded to out on the list (are you subscribed?), if you have a
> specific issue (such as the one addressed by the libusb-1.0 branch), let us
> know and we can help you build packages for your distro that include the
> patches you need.

Not everyone who asks this is going to have the dev knowledge to build their
own custom package. Especially when the package in question is based off a
non-default git branch. Especially when the aforementioned git branch won't
even build on one's current distribution, due to a makefile issue[1].

Occasionally these kinds of requests come from sysadmins, and others that do
not have a development background. I wouldn't assume that every sysadmin
would know how to grab a particular git branch, look inside their
distribution's existing nut version to see what it does, attempt to replace
the existing package with a new tarball, figure out why it didn't work, and
then fix the Makefile.

Pushing out a defined release will encourage distributions to update to it,
expanding the usage of the new code, increase feedback, and make it easier
for some to update to the new code base.

[1] One of the outstanding pull requests.