[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite SMX1500LCDT FreeBSD 11.2 trouble

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:00:34 BST 2018

On Aug 19, 2018, at 2:04 AM, Valentin Merkulov <schnobel at ickis.net> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm having trouble getting TrippLite SMX1500LCDT to work on FreeBSD
> 11.2, nut 2.7.4 installed from FreeBSD port.
>
> The debug output is rather big when I'm starting usbhid-ups initially,
> Please find that attached (gzipped to comply with message size limit).
>
> Subsequently, until I unplug and replug the USB cable, I'm geting a
> shorter debug output, like this:
>
> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
> USB communication driver 0.33
>   0.000000     debug level is '4'
>   0.001278     upsdrv_initups...
>   0.001596     Checking device (09AE/3016) (/dev/usb//dev/ugen1.3)
>   0.034084     - VendorID: 09ae
>   0.034093     - ProductID: 3016

The Tripp-Lite 3016 Protocol devices have been problematic. It seems as though they are particularly sensitive to cable quality, and also tend to exhibit problems with motherboards from the last few years (around the time that USB 3.0 was introduced, though the UPS is only using USB 1.1 at 1.5 Mbit/sec). Several people have proposed workarounds that involve programmatically disconnecting the USB port for the UPS, which is clever, but probably not the sort of thing you would want to rely on. You may have better luck using a different system running the NUT driver, such as a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black, as ARM boards seem less affected (but not 100% reliable) with 3016 devices.

Can you try the following commands as root?

usbconfig -u 1 -a 3 dump_curr_config_desc

usbconfig -u 1 -a 3 do_request 0x81 0x06 0x2200 0 0x100

(The "-u" and "-a" options are based on the /dev/ugen1.3 line above - adjust the numbers as appropriate after unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.)

Since usbconfig is part of the base FreeBSD distribution, and not part of NUT, this should identify whether the problem is with NUT's USB/HID implementation, or with the kernel/motherboard combination.