[Nut-upsuser] Wrong battery.date variable value [APC, usbhid-ups]

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:37:02 BST 2018

On Aug 30, 2018, at 6:54 AM, Ong, Kevin wrote:

> I'm very sorry for the delay here, I've been very swamped with work. Here's the relevant information you guys need:
>
> "upsc APC_BR1500GI" output: https://pastebin.com/rH3W0dbz
> "upsrw APC_BR1500GI" output: https://pastebin.com/tEWv8a3d
> "upscmd -l APC_BR1500GI" output: https://pastebin.com/MraRQnEk
> "clog /var/log/system.log | grep -i ups" output: https://pastebin.com/QxXLqEcH

Hi Kevin,

The key points here are the usbhid-ups driver (versus the serial APC driver), a serial number that appears to be more recent than some of the correct values in the DDL, and that this looks like the battery.mfr.date matches the value from apcupsd.

Is the ups.mfr.date value incorrect as well, or has the battery been changed at least once in 2016?

battery.date: 2001/09/25
battery.mfr.date: 2016/05/11
ups.mfr.date: 2012/01/30

The next test involves stopping NUT, and briefly running the driver in debug mode. The commands will be something like this (run in a shell as root):

upsdrvctl stop
/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a APC_BR1500GI -DDDDD 2>&1 | tee /tmp/APC_BR1500GI.debug.txt
# let it run for ~20 seconds, then stop with Control-C
upsdrvctl start

and then please post the contents of /tmp/APC_BR1500GI.debug.txt (pastebin works, but if you do email it to the list, please use gzip first)

If the debug log looks like it ended on its own (messages to the effect of not being able to find the device), you may need to wait longer after stopping the driver, or maybe unplug and re-plug the USB cable on the UPS. (Not usually an issue with APC devices, but you never know.)