[Nut-upsuser] MGE EllipseMAX 1500 shuts down after a few hours

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:48:20 GMT 2018

On Dec 1, 2018, at 3:45 PM, raul <raulvior.bcn at gmail.com> wrote:

> The UPS is connected to the following environment:
> OS: Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 (stretch)
> NUT version: 2.7.4-5
> Device output from lsusb: 0463:ffff MGE UPS Systems UPS
> Model name: MGE EllipseMAX 1500
> URLs:
> http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/Ellipse-MAX-eol.aspx?cx=97&GUID=7BB6CD53-9F6D-4D62-B326-1099F137BF8D
> http://powerquality.eaton.com/68558.aspx?cx=97
>
> The problem is that at some point, after being online for a while, the UPS shuts down, cutting the power of all devices without sending any command. The log of the master monitor registers a USB error before the events of the OS booting process after turning on again the UPS. I have attached the output
>
> Dec  1 21:35:18 openmediavault kernel: [19503.643123] usb 3-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 6 ret -110
> Dec  1 21:35:26 openmediavault kernel: [19511.835644] usb 3-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 5 ret -110

"ret -110" is a timeout, and on other MGE models, I see those sporadically throughout the day. Those might even correspond to the "libusb_get_interrupt: Connection timed out" lines in the debug log.

If there is no message to NUT, I would consider opening a trouble ticket with Eaton. It is possible that there is a known issue and/or a firmware upgrade.

Also, given that the load is only 12%, double-check that the UPS is not configured for any power saving features that might cause the shutdown ("ECO mode" or similar). NUT does not get a notification for that event the way that it gets a normal LB shutdown notification.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail