[Nut-upsuser] testing shutdown: pc not restarting; and "ups unavailable" messages

nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com nut.user.u830 at neverbox.com
Fri Feb 2 12:51:00 UTC 2018

> NUT takes charge of sending the required commands through the driver; the
> default values are load.off.delay 20 and load.on.delay 30.  These values can be
> changed by adding lines such as
>
>         offdelay = 30
>         ondelay = 100
>
> to the corresponding UPS section in file ups.conf.

This sounded like a very appealing and sensible suggestion, thanks, so I just tried it.

I edited /etc/nut/ups.conf to contain the following stanza

[cyber]
	driver = usbhid-ups
	port = auto
	desc = "Cyber Power Systems VALUE800EILCD"
	offdelay = 30
	ondelay = 100

and then I "tested the shutdown sequence" with

sudo upsmon -c fsd

The computer duly shut down but then didn't come back up for 3 minutes, at which point I power-cycled it by removing and re-inserting the cable. (By the way, 5 seconds of off time wasn't enough to wake it up, but 30 was.)

So what else could be wrong?

- Should I have written load.off.delay instead of offdelay?

- Should I have issued any other command to cause the driver to read its ups.conf file?

- Could it be that the second issue I reported in my original message to the list is also affecting what happens?
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2018-February/011034.html <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2018-February/011034.html>

I am still getting quite a few console broadcasts that "UPS cyber at localhost is unavailable" and (a) I don't know why (b) I wonder if this is preventing nut from telling the UPS those new values for the on-delay and off-delay.