[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite BCPERS450 shutdown/restart problems

Ken Olum kdo at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Jan 11 20:14:31 UTC 2018

Thanks again for your help, Charles.  I was able to install the Tripp
Lite software on my Ubuntu machine, and it sort of works.  It does
something which continually changes the USB device ID of the UPS, and
prints voluminous error messages in the log.  However, one of the things
that it can do is to schedule a UPS shutdown, which Nut does not know
how to do.

So I monitored the USB port with wireshark (an interesting endeavor
since I didn't start out with any knowledge of USB protocols).  But I
have managed to discover that when I ask Tripp Lite's poweralert
software to schedule a UPS shutdown, it does it by using the SET_REPORT
function of the USB HID protocol with ReportType "Feature", ReportID 21
(0x15), and 3 bytes of data which are 0x15 followed by the number of
seconds to wait before shutting down in two bytes, LSB first.

Below I include wireshark packet dissections for two such commands.  The
difference is in the "data fragment".  In the first case it is 150500,
representing a shutdown in 5 seconds, and the second 153701,
representing a shutdown in 311 = 0x0137 seconds.

Is this helpful?

                                        Ken

  27738 174.290305     host                  1.44.0                USBHID   67     SET_REPORT Request

Frame 27738: 67 bytes on wire (536 bits), 67 bytes captured (536 bits) on interface 0
USB URB
    [Source: host]
    [Destination: 1.44.0]
    URB id: 0xffff964d9a2f8540