[Nut-upsuser] Best Power FE700VA?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 13:53:34 UTC 2018

On Jan 21, 2018, at 1:12 AM, David Melik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an excellent old Best Power FE700VA but am suprised it's unlisted.  I thought Best Power ones were for critical applications, mostly for POSIX-based (Unix, etc.) servers, so I want to run it on 64-bit Slackware GNU/Linux.  I'm wondering why, or if it may be added in the future, or if there are any other options.

My understanding was that many of the older Best Power units were downstream of generators, and as such, full-blown power outages of both mains and generator power were not expected.

That said, it might be that the "bestfcom" driver predates when we were actively collecting specific model names for the Hardware Compatibility List and the Device Dump Library. Does the manual linked below describe your model?

   http://unifiedpowerusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ferrups-users-guide.pdf

If you hook up a terminal emulator to the comms port (1200 baud, 8/N/1 unless stickers and/or configuration DIP switches indicate otherwise), and type "f" <return>, do you get a status line like one of the following?

   https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/v2.7.4/drivers/bestfcom.c#L226-L244

Let us know how it goes, and we can update the various compatibility lists:

   http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/docker-debian-jessie/docs/latest/stable-hcl.html#footnotes

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail