[Nut-upsuser] how to use multiple UPS with timers

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Tue May 8 17:08:43 BST 2018

On Tue, 8 May 2018, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> I personally dislike timers.

I get the impression that the majority of people on this list dislike timers,
since their use suggests that the shutdown plan ignores a basic feature of a UPS
unit, which is the [OB] status.

Where I live, frequent lightning strikes can cause repeated power failures
during a storm.  The same situation exists if the power utility is unreliable.
In this situation, it is better to shutdown quickly keeping enough energy in the
battery for a power return and then another power failure during the storm.

A managed shutdown is an unfortunate, but regular occurrence, which should be
well within the capacity of the UPS unit.  An emergency shutdown means that not
only has the power utility failed, but the UPS battery is exhausted.

The managed shutdown uses timers, but the emergency shutdown on [OB] is always
present, ready to take over if the number of power failures overwhelms the UPS.

Timers also make it possible to run a "heartbeat" through the NUT system. In a
box which can be running for months, I like to be assured that the normally
quiet NUT is running correctly.  For me, a "heartbeat" should be a part of every
shutdown plan.

Roger