[Nut-upsuser] after power outage and proper shutdown, UPS turns on before power returns

Gabriel jarod125 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 01:13:23 BST 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Gabriel <jarod125 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm struggling with a peculiar issue with my UPS. After a power
> > outage, the devices powered by it properly shut down via nut.
> > Eventually, the UPS also goes down. Power is still out, however,
> > roughly 40 seconds after the UPS shut down, it turns back on and it
> > starts supplying power to the load, thus turning back on the devices
> > attached to it. This is obviously not something I want. In trying to
> > figure out the problem, the closest I've come was the ondelay
> > parameter, but that only comes in play after the power returns, so it
> > shouldn't apply here.
>
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> sorry for the delay - I am still working through a bit of a backlog here.
>
> We have a few other open CyberPower issues listed here: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/labels/CyberPower%20%28CPS%29
>
> If you wouldn't mind checking through them to see if the Value line produces similar debug output to the others listed there, that would be most helpful.

To be honest, I'm not really able to read the debug output, so I
wouldn't know what to look for (looks like a foreign language to me).
When I sent the report, I've just attached what was mentioned in the
"Request help" paragraph from the Support instructions page[1].

> One theme with some of the CPS timeout issues is that the user-specified timer values are rounded down to the nearest minute. So an offdelay of 20 is probably a corner case. That may not be the fix for your issue, but I would recommend using "offdelay=60" and "ondelay = 120" to attempt to separate the issues.

After sending the email, I revisited the usbhid-ups driver man page
and found the part that specified that ondelay=-1 can be used in the
scenario I am facing (for some reason, I haven't noticed this when
initially reading the docs). And sure enough, this works, but the side
effect is that the UPS won't come back when power returns. I've also
tried with higher values (300) and it's still the same. UPS will power
up even if there's no mains power. After looking at the github issues
at the link you specified, I've found this[2] post which describes
pretty much the exact behaviour I'm seeing. I haven't tried with
ondelay=0, but I'm sure it'll behave like that guy says (I'll confirm
and report back). So, at the moment, between: i) set the ondelay to a
(very) large value and hope that power returns before the UPS turns
back on or ii) set ondelay=-1 and manually turn on the UPS after power
returns, setting ondelay=0 looks like the only half-decent option, but
still leaves you vulnerable in case the power comes back and goes out
again before the battery is charged to a comfortable level.

While we're at this, what's the difference between
ups.delay.{start,shutdown} and ups.timer.{start,shutdown}? The first
pair seems to be user-configurable via upsrw (and overriden via
ondelay and offdelay in ups.conf), but the latter appear to be
non-configurable.

> Also, it would be helpful to compare the debug log for running the driver with the "-k" option to kill power (as you did before when obtaining the driver debug output, the rest of NUT will need to be stopped). I would recommend doing this with the machine plugged into another power source, so that you can keep capturing the logs without the rest of the system powering down unexpectedly.

This I can do (hopefully this week). I'll get back with the output.

[1] https://networkupstools.org/support.html
[2] https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/432#issuecomment-405371395