[Nut-upsuser] new mobo, ups doesn't connect

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:48:03 GMT 2019

On Dec 7, 2019, at 7:01 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> What driver do I now put in /etc/nut/ups.conf? hid-generic doesn't seem
> to want to talk to it, and the original name _(usbhid-ups) doesn't work
> from new mobo.  Oh wait, I can't spell. But that didn't help, and a
> restart gets this error:
> Dec 07 18:49:46 coyote upsd[3259]: Can't connect to UPS [myups]
> (hidraw-myups): No such file or directory

Hi Gene,

Might be simpler to start with the contents of your /etc/nut/ups.conf file?

Mine looks like this:

[apc]
	driver = usbhid-ups
	port = auto # USB

Yours should probably look similar:

[myups]
	driver = usbhid-ups
	port = auto # USB

Are you using Debian? I think they split things out a bit in recent versions, so the exact NUT restart command might depend on whether you are using stretch, or later.

Roger is also onto something with the contents of /var/run/nut. If the driver is running, you should see a socket (3rd entry):

$ sudo ls -l /run/nut
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 nut  nut  5 Aug 23 09:40 upsd.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 Aug 23 09:40 upsmon.pid
srw-rw---- 1 nut  nut  0 Aug 23 09:40 usbhid-ups-apc
-rw-r--r-- 1 nut  nut  5 Aug 23 09:40 usbhid-ups-apc.pid

If that socket isn't showing up, then we need to figure out why the driver isn't starting.

- Charles