[Nut-upsuser] new mobo, ups doesn't connect

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Dec 9 03:26:52 GMT 2019

On Sunday 08 December 2019 22:17:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 08 December 2019 21:48:03 Charles Lepple wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 2019, at 7:01 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > What driver do I now put in /etc/nut/ups.conf? hid-generic doesn't
> > > seem to want to talk to it, and the original name _(usbhid-ups)
> > > doesn't work from new mobo.  Oh wait, I can't spell. But that
> > > didn't help, and a restart gets this error:

> > > Dec 07 18:49:46 coyote upsd[3259]: Can't connect to UPS [myups]
> > > (hidraw-myups): No such file or directory
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > Might be simpler to start with the contents of your
> > /etc/nut/ups.conf file?
> >
> > Mine looks like this:
> >
> > [apc]
> > 	driver = usbhid-ups
> > 	port = auto # USB
> >
> > Yours should probably look similar:
> >
> > [myups]
> > 	driver = usbhid-ups
> > 	port = auto # USB
> >
> > Are you using Debian? I think they split things out a bit in recent
> > versions, so the exact NUT restart command might depend on whether
> > you are using stretch, or later.
> >
> > Roger is also onto something with the contents of /var/run/nut. If
> > the driver is running, you should see a socket (3rd entry):
> >
> > $ sudo ls -l /run/nut
> > total 12
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 nut  nut  5 Aug 23 09:40 upsd.pid
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 Aug 23 09:40 upsmon.pid
> > srw-rw---- 1 nut  nut  0 Aug 23 09:40 usbhid-ups-apc
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 nut  nut  5 Aug 23 09:40 usbhid-ups-apc.pid
> >
> > If that socket isn't showing up, then we need to figure out why the
> > driver isn't starting.
> >
> > - Charles
>
> The working part:

I put it back to original and restarted the nut-server.  And its now
working. Go figure...
> [myups]
> #driver=hidraw
> driver=usbhid-ups
> #driver=belkin
> #driver=belkinunv
> #driver=genericups
> port=auto
> offdelay=120
> ondelay=0

root at coyote:nut$ upsc  myups
Init SSL without certificate database
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.runtime: 0
battery.runtime.low: 150
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 26.3
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.mfr: American Power Conversion
device.model: Smart-UPS_1500
device.serial: 3S1906X11389
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.offdelay: 120
driver.parameter.ondelay: 0
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.96
driver.version.internal: 0.41
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 120
ups.firmware: UPS 03.5 / ID=1015
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2019/02/06
ups.model: Smart-UPS_1500
ups.productid: 0003
ups.serial: 3S1906X11389
ups.status: OL
ups.timer.reboot: -1
ups.timer.shutdown: 65535
ups.vendorid: 051d

I have had that warning about ssl since upgradeing to stretch. ???

> The previous belkin used the next commented line down. This is an even
> bigger APC.

Thanks Charles

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)