[Nut-upsuser] nut vs ups fail

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 12 22:56:11 BST 2019

On Sunday 12 May 2019 03:10:13 pm Charles Lepple wrote:

> On May 12, 2019, at 2:51 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 May 2019 02:41:02 pm Charles Lepple wrote:
> >> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a myups -DD
> >
> > gene at coyote:~$ /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a myups -DD
> > Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
> > USB communication driver 0.33
> > Can't open /etc/nut/ups.conf: Can't open /etc/nut/ups.conf:
> > Permission denied
> > lemme see who owns that. huh? amandabackup:nut what the h?  Who is
> > supposed to own it and what perms? chown -R nut:nut nut didn't help
>
> Needs to be readable by user/group nut, so setting the group as you
> did, plus "chmod g+r":

That seemed to work, making

> $ ls -l /etc/nut/ups.conf
> -rw-r----- 1 root nut 5058 Oct 29  2018 /etc/nut/ups.conf
-rw-rw---- 1 nut nut 3784 May  7 10:39 /etc/nut/ups.conf
and
-rw-rw---- 1 nut nut 1544 Feb 18  2015 /etc/nut/nut.conf
went to /etc/init.d and restarted everything
root at coyote:init.d$ service nut-server restart
root at coyote:init.d$ service nut-clent restart
root at coyote:init.d$ service nut-client restart
root at coyote:init.d$ service ups-monitor restart
root at coyote:init.d$ upsc myups
(I recall this is the right call to get an instant status)
Init SSL without certificate database
Error: Driver not connected

So something is all aglay yet...
active stuff in ups.conf

[myups]
driver=usbhid-ups
port=auto
offdelay = 120
ondelay = 150

mode=standalone is all thats in  nut.conf.

> ... although ups.conf for a USB-connected UPS likely doesn't contain
> anything sensitive, so mode 0644 would also be fine.
Aha, some crawling around on the floor, I moved the cable to a different
usb port on the breakup, and now it shows up in an lsusb!
restarted everything, and now a upsc myups, gets me a report, ending with
this:
ups.load: 22
ups.mfr: Belkin
ups.model: Belkin UPS
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.productid: 0751
ups.serial:
ups.status: OL CHRG
ups.test.result: Done and passed
ups.timer.shutdown: 0
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.type: offline
ups.vendorid: 050d

So I believe I'm in business if systemctl starts it on a reboot.

However I get this at the top of a upsc report:

Init SSL without certificate database

Which I've not recalled seeing in wheezy.
And the common certs are installed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)