[Nut-upsuser] Sweex PP200 650VA UPS - Success report

Martyn Hill martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 20:43:38 BST 2019

Dear Charles and team

Just thought to share my findings getting a Sweex PP200 650VA UPS
working with NUT (I didn't see this particular model listed on the HCL.)

I picked-up one of these units quite cheaply at a Maplins store (before
the chain closed-down) as a second UPS for my home/office - the first
being an old Zigor Ebro650 - a long story for another post...

NUT v2.7.4_7 is running as a package on pfSense 2.2.4 (based on FreeBSD
11.2-RELEASE-p10) with the following ups.conf:

pollinterval=10
maxretry=10
retrydelay=20
maxstartdelay=120

[ups]
driver=blazer_usb
port=auto
protocol=mustek
bus=/dev/usb
desc=Sweex PP200
novendor

This model has USB productid/vendorid of 5161/0665.

The following output from upsc shows the available status from the
Sweex, including Load and Charge stats, which do appear to be valid and
well-calibrated:

battery.charge: 100
battery.voltage: 13.70
battery.voltage.high: 13.00
battery.voltage.low: 10.40
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
device.type: ups
driver.flag.novendor: enabled
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.bus: /dev/usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 10
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.protocol: mustek
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.12
input.current.nominal: 2.0
input.frequency: 50.1
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 241.2
input.voltage.fault: 241.2
input.voltage.nominal: 220
output.voltage: 204.5
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 16
ups.productid: 5161
ups.status: OL TRIM
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: 0665

I also have a Synology NAS (DS-115j) fed power by the same UPS as the
pfSense router and have successfully gotten the NAS to act as NUT
slave/client using upsmon. An article I found online suggested that the
NAS could work with any NUT Master, as long as you define the UPS to
match the hard-coded values in the Synology NUT port.

Unfortunately every start-up of upsmon on the NAS appears to reset its
configuration back to the hardcoded values, so I adjusted my
configuration on the NUT Master to match instead (tail wagging the dog,
but...)

The UPS name defined in ups.conf on the Master must be 'ups' and the
upsmon user 'monuser', password 'secret' as defined in upsd.users - see
here: https://roll.urown.net/NAS/nas-ups.html

I must say that the pfSense port of NUT with its real-time UI is pretty
neat...

More to follow on getting the Windows port of NUT 2.6.5 working as
Master with my other (Zigor) UPS.

Regards,
Martyn Hill.