[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Todd Benivegna todd at benivegna.com
Fri Aug 7 17:14:58 BST 2020

Hi Roger,

I am not home, but when I do get home I will check out everything you've
mentioned.  I do have some time where I can give you a breakdown of my
topology though.  I have a feeling all of this is probably due to a
configuration error somewhere on my part.   Here's what I have done so far.

*APC Back-UPS NS 650M1 UPS* ---USB---> *Synology NAS (DS416 - Master?)*
---Ethernet---> *Netgear Managed Switch* w/ uplink to router
<---Ethernet--- *Servers (Ubuntu 20.04 - Plex, Pulsar, Proton - All three
set as slaves)*

I have all three servers set as slaves, so is the Synology considered the
master?  Or do I need to set one of the servers as the Master?  I've been
under the impression that the Synology is the master, but have been unable
to confirm this.

So what I have done so far is enable the "Network UPS Server" on the
Synology, entered the three IPs of the servers in there, set it to shutdown
when battery is low and enabled "Shutdown UPS when the system enters safe
mode".  I then installed NUT on all three servers. In nut.conf I changed
MODE to "MODE=netclient".  I then added my MONITOR line in upsmon.conf. on
all three.  Looks something like this:

MONITOR ups at 192.168.1.70 1 monuser secret slave

My SHUTDOWNCMD looks like this:

SHUTDOWNCMD "getUPSstatus ups at 192.168.1.70 ; logger -t upsmon.conf \"UPS
status is $UPSstatus\" ; /sbin/shutdown -h +0"

Would that not work?  I believe that's what you told me to put there.

I think I've definitely made a mistake though, in that I have not
set RUN_AS_USER in upsmon.conf and set up the appropriate permissions.  I
read somewhere that it would then run as user NOBODY and not be able read
upsmon.conf.  Is that true?  Could that be the whole problem?

I'm thinking I need to put in..

RUN_AS_USER nut

in upsmon.conf and then do:

$ sudo chown -R root:nut /etc/nut
$ sudo chmod 0770 /etc/nut
$ sudo chmod 0640 /etc/nut/*

Does that last part look correct to you?  I think what I will do is put the
contents of the files in pastebin and send the links to you.  May be easier
that way.

Thanks,

Todd

*Todd Benivegna* // todd at benivegna.com