[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Aug 9 21:49:49 BST 2020

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020, Todd Benivegna wrote:

> upssched.conf (on Synology):
> CMDSCRIPT /usr/syno/bin/synoups
>
> upssched-cmd (on Synology):
> I don’t see this file.

The CMDSCRIPT declaration says that in a Synology box the file that NUT calls
upssched-cmd is called /usr/syno/bin/synoups.  Could we see this file?  Thanks.

>       What is "Safe mode"?  Is it complete power down?, or some sort of hibernation?
>       If it's not a complete power down, how is the hibernation powered?
>
>       "When the Synology NAS enters Safe Mode, it stops all services and unmounts volumes in order to prevent data loss and shut down (halt for
>       EDS14) safely when the UPS device runs out of power. By default, the system enters Safe Mode when the UPS device starts running low on power.
>       You can also specify the amount of time before the Synology NAS enters Safe Mode when power failure occurs. However, if the UPS device reaches
>       low battery before the specified time, the system enters Safe Mode immediately.
>
>       In situations where the Synology NAS shuts down during Safe Mode, it will automatically turn on when power is restored if you have enabled the
>       Restart automatically after a power failure option (located at Control Panel > Hardware & Power > General)."

This reads like typical sales literature.  I admit to being none the wiser even
after reading it several times.

> I gather this puts it in a state where it is ready for imminent power loss and
> won’t damage or lose any data.

How long can this last?  Who supplies the power to the NAS during "Safe mode"?

> Ok, I will comment that back out.  That won’t interfere with anything?  What
> user would it run as?  Will it have access to upsmon.conf?

Ubuntu very probably has user nut set up to run NUT and has the permissions set
accordingly.  If it's possible to execute "command ps -elf | grep nut" in a
running NAS you will see user nut in action.

Roger