[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Aug 12 02:08:52 BST 2020

On 8/12/20 3:55 AM, Todd Benivegna wrote:
> Manuel,
>
> You are absolutely right.  I think this is all the Synology just being
> very dumb.  I guess those are my only two options at this point.
>
> I have no idea on how to set up the NUT server though on one of my
> NUCs or my Pi.  Do you know any good guides out there?

there are literally tons of guides. for instance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/5ssb5h/ups_server_on_raspberry_pi/
and scroll down to configuring, past the apt install step (which you
already did )

basically all you need is to edit a few files below /etc/nut/ . takes 5
min top

>   I’m guessing it’s easy enough to edit upsmon.conf on the Synology in
> order to get that to become a slave; I think would be all that’s
> required for the Synology NAS.

> Yeah I saw that.  Makes no sense.  I can Wireshark it, however even if
> I find the cause, I’d still have to go to Synology for resolution,
> which I doubt will ever get fixed.  Even if they do, I doubt it’d be
> any time soon.  Maybe that’s me being pessimistic, I don’t know, but I
> just don’t if I have the time or energy for all that!

no need to wireshark any more, we already know that it sends bogus FSD