[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Tim Dawson tadawson at tpcsvc.com
Wed Aug 12 17:44:52 BST 2020

555 gives no write access to the dir, and the files are covered by their
own perms, so I fail to see any relevance to your comment - sorry . . .

640 is decent for files, not so much for directories - as noted, the
fields mean different things on dirs . . .

 From the man pages:

        The  letters  rwxXst select file mode bits for the affected
users: read
        (r), write (w), execute (or search for directories) (x),
execute/search
        only  if  the file is a directory or already has execute
permission for
        some user (X), set user or group ID on execution (s),
restricted  dele-

So while direct access may well still work, there is *ZERO* liability in
allowing search, and frankly, I don't know what tests NUT may be doing
to find it's files pre-open, and some may block without that attribute .
. .

For what it's worth . . .

- Tim

On 08/12/2020 03:08 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 8/12/20 8:10 AM, Tim Dawson wrote:
>> For directory permissions, the "x" priv determines if you can access
>> the directory, so going from 555 (r-x,r-x,r-x) to 640 (rw-,r--,---)
>> pretty much locks out access to the dir. Myself, I'd go back to 555.
>> 640 essentially locks the group "nut" out . . .
>>
>> - Tim
>
> At least if on Todd's system the access rights are identical to mine,
> no, nut is just fine with 640 because the whole directory is owned by
> group nut. And nut ( or anyone else but root, actually ) has no
> business in modifying the config files.  Actually I'd be quite
> concerned if user "nut" wanted to modify its own config.
>
> Logs are written somewhere else.

Tim Dawson

972-567-9360