[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Todd Benivegna todd at benivegna.com
Fri Aug 14 19:27:47 BST 2020

I found something interesting that I think may apply here.  Check this
out...

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73960&hilit=ups+slave

*I have the latest version of the Windows port of NUT (A UPS management
package) installed on my Windows 7 machine. The UPS I am using is a very
old APC BK650M which is controlled and sends its status via a special
serial cable to the Windows machine.*

*I also have my Synology NAS (which uses NUT for its UPS management)
connected over the local network as a slave to the Windows NUT master. The
Synology slave is configured to immediately go into "safe mode" whenever an
FSD (system shutdown message) or OB+LB (On-Battery and Low Battery)
indication is received from the Windows NUT master.*

*The Windows master machine responds correctly to OB+LB events, correctly
shutting down the master machine. The Synology box also responds to the
OB+LB events from the master correctly and goes into "safe mode", the
expected behavior.*

*The problem comes when using the command "upsmon -c fsd" on the Windows
NUT master to force a UPS system shutdown to test the system. The Windows
master shuts down correctly, but the Synology NAS slave does not go into
"safe mode" when it receives the FSD notification.*

*I was wondering if there is a bug in the Windows port of NUT such that the
FSD notification is not sent to the slaves when "upsmon -c fsd" is
executed.*

*I then looked into the Synology NAS NUT configuration more closely.*

*When configured as a NUT slave device, the Synology responds to an FSD
notification from the NUT master by calling a script defined in the
Synology's /usr/syno/etc/ups/upssched.conf with an "fsd" argument. The
script is /usr/syno/bin/synoups.*

*Before causing the NAS to go into "safe mode", the script first retrieves
the status of the NUT master with upsc. If the status is "OL" (on-line),
the script aborts any action for the received FSD notification. Since the
UPS is actually on-line and not in a low battery state when the test FSD is
sent from the Windows master, the Synology will not enter "safe mode" - it
does nothing.*

*If the device was in OB (on battery), LB (low battery), or OB+LB mode, the
OL check would fail and the Synology would enter "safe mode", as expected.*

*I tried commenting out the OL status check in the Synology script. The
Synology slave then enters "safe mode" when a "upsmon -c fsd" is issued
from the Windows master, as expected.*

*Interesting that Synology disables the test functionality on the NAS.*

Roger, do you know where in /usr/syno/etc/ups/upssched.conf the OL status
check is as mentioned above?  I'd like to comment that out and see if it
works.  I'd really like to test everything out without waiting for
the battery to run out, but if not then I will do that; will just take
about 45 minutes or so.  I would never have guessed that it would do a
check like that, which basically prevents the "upsmon -c fsd" test!

*Todd Benivegna* // todd at benivegna.com