[Nut-upsuser] unexpected UPS status

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jan 7 10:44:43 GMT 2020

This is part UPS and part nut question.

I had a (intentional) power outage. The UPS/nut properly shut the system down when battery was down to 20%.
It ran for only 18 minutes rather than the expected 40 (see later).
After it charged to 37% I removed power from the UPS. After 4-5 minutes the system shut down.
However, when I restored power to the UPS the machine powered up immediately (no delay). I though it was supposed
to wait for a higher charge?

Nevertheless, the UPS reported a charge of 58% when the machine restarted, I expected about 20%. Free energy?

Q1) Does this last exercise indicate a bad battery that woke up on the second restart?
     Or a failed UPS?
     The UPS is a Eaton 5E1500i. It is only 6m old and within the warranty period.

Q2) What is the parameter I need to set on the UPS for a minimum charge before restarting power?

$ upsc eaton
Init SSL without certificate database
battery.charge: 68
battery.runtime: 1290