[Nut-upsuser] nut on armhf, r-pi4b IOW

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jan 12 17:58:55 GMT 2020

On Sunday 12 January 2020 12:09:04 Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > in /tmp/info

> > > This I assumed was with nut-server and nut-client, both stopped,
> > > which they had been. Was that incorrect?
> >
> > You are correct, with both nut-server and nut-client stopped.
> >
> > I should not have been lazy, and I should have just pasted the
> > command line I was thinking of:
> >
> > # /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a myups -DDD 2>&1 | tee /tmp/CP625HGa.txt
> >
> > (I was looking at the hid-subdrivers.txt file in the latest NUT
> > tree, which has the command line amended to not generate that "too
> > many non-option arguments" error. Also, I wanted it to use the
> > existing cps-hid.c tables, not the generic "explore" sub-driver.)
>
> Attached, about 30 seconds worth
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

I should add that its -wall broadcast did exactly what I wanted in the
night last night:

---------------------------
Broadcast message from nut at rpi4 (somewhere) (Sun Jan 12 01:15:04 2020):

UPS myups at localhost on battery

Broadcast message from nut at rpi4 (somewhere) (Sun Jan 12 01:15:14 2020):

UPS myups at localhost on line power

Broadcast message from nut at rpi4 (somewhere) (Sun Jan 12 01:54:00 2020):

UPS myups at localhost on battery

Broadcast message from nut at rpi4 (somewhere) (Sun Jan 12 01:54:10 2020):

UPS myups at localhost on line power
--------------------------

Two power failures, weather related I assume as I slept thru them. A
heavy rain went by on its way to the right coast.

My generator starts a couple seconds faster than the 10 seconds shown
here, but thats plenty good enough for the girls I go with. The transfer
back to true line power as the generator shuts down is invisible.

But this doesn't pass the smell test, 3 other machines that are trained
to reboot when power returns and have no ups fitted, were NOT rebooted
as evidenced by their reported uptimes, one of which shows a 144 day
uptime.  So why should this have been logged via a -wall bc to every
login it is servicing?

There was no power failure IOW.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Maybe this is why it was so cheap, it has buggy firmware?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis