[Nut-upsuser] USB drivers not found when compiling

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Mar 23 15:08:41 GMT 2020

On March 23, 2020 1:43:01 PM UTC, Tyler Montney <montneytyler at gmail.com> wrote:
>Compiling against
>http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.7/nut-2.7.4.tar.gz.
>I also have libusb-0.1-4 installed but no joy.
>
>On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 2:45 AM Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>
>> On March 23, 2020 12:50:11 AM UTC, Tyler Montney
><montneytyler at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >Came across this in the process of troubleshooting:
>> >

>https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2011-November/007249.html
>> >
>> >My whole reason for compiling from source is to add SSL support (as
>it
>> >doesn't seem available through the package manager). Apt list shows
>> >these
>> >installed:
>> >
>> >libusb-1.0-0-dev/stable,now 2:1.0.22-2 armhf [installed]
>> >libusb-1.0-0/stable,now 2:1.0.22-2 armhf [installed]
>> >libusb-1.0-doc/stable,now 2:1.0.22-2 all [installed,automatic]
>> >
>> >Config.log shows this:
>> >
>> >configure:8538: checking for libusb version via pkg-config
>> >configure:8545: checking via libusb-config
>> >configure:8557: result: none found
>> >
>> >Tried compiling without USB, fails but now complains it can't find
>> >OpenSSL.
>> >Apt list shows this installed:
>> >
>> >openssl/testing,now 1.1.1d-0+deb10u2+rpt1 armhf [installed]
>> >
>> >Compiling without USB or SSL compiles successfully. I assume NUT
>> >requires a
>> >specific version of these libraries, and if so, which versions are
>the
>> >right ones? Platform is a newly installed distro of latest Raspbian
>on
>> >Raspberry Pi 3. When I installed from the package manager,
>everything
>> >worked great (just missing the SSL support). I've been referring to
>> >these
>> >docs:
>> >
>> >https://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s05.html
>> >https://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s09.html
>>
>> You mention compiling against libusb-1.0 but do not mention which NUT
>> codebase you use. The master branch at the moment does not support
>it, only
>> libusb-0.1 and there are some known connectivity stability bugs
>associated
>> with that.
>>
>> Currently there is a long-pending competition of several
>implementations,
>> neither of which were merged yet since respective change authors did
>not
>> consider their work perfect enough:
>>
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/300
>>
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/libusb-1.0
>>
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/libusb-1.0%2B0.1
>>
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/libusb-compat-1.0
>>
>> I believe you should pick whichever works for you (please report on
>those
>> which do not work and how, if any), sync with current master should
>be
> [...]

Also, for supporting openssl-1.1, PR#504 added that on master branch.

Unfortunately there were no tagged releases for a while (rushing still to that goal), and 2.7.4 recently passed 4 years old. So really, for the modern goodies, try the master branch and maybe then some (libusb*) on top.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android