[Nut-upsuser] Can't get CyberPower UPS to work with Raspberry Pi 4

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Oct 29 01:56:04 GMT 2020

On Wednesday 28 October 2020 21:32:02 Charles Lepple wrote:

> >> I don't have the citation handy, but I think another user reported
> >> that the battery.voltage returned by the UPS is a constant 24.0 V,
> >> regardless of the actual battery voltage.
>
> [...]
>
> > I think it may be dependent on thhe ups. I have a 625 WA cyberpower
> > on an rpi4, and I believe its more truthfull. Is this helpfull?
>
> You're right, the lack of a battery voltage sensor isn't true for all
> CPS hardware.
>
> I was trying to make the point that the 24.0 V reading is suspect,
> while covering the cases where broken scaling means that NUT displays
> it as 16.0 V.
>
> However, back in January, we discussed the input.transfer.high/.low
> issue:
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2020-January/011
>668.html
>
> The root cause of that is closer to some of the other CPS issues, like
> the "output.voltage: 137.0" that Robert posted.
>
> That upsc dump is useful. For completeness, could you (and Robert)
> please post the output of "upsrw myups"

pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace $ upsrw myups
[battery.charge.low]
Remaining battery level when UPS switches to LB (percent)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 10

[battery.runtime.low]
Remaining battery runtime when UPS switches to LB (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 300

[input.transfer.high]
High voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 0

[input.transfer.low]
Low voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 0

[ups.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 120

[ups.delay.start]
Interval to wait before (re)starting the load (seconds)
Type: STRING
Maximum length: 10
Value: 0

> and "upscmd -l myups"?

pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace $ upscmd -l myups
Instant commands supported on UPS [myups]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
load.on.delay - Turn on the load with a delay (seconds)
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

Which looks very incomplete to me.  OTOH, its not a very big UPS but
neither is the pi.  I have tested that, and it shuts off long before it
outouts a LB signal.

But as the old saw says, its not my job to blow the whistle. I'm just
happy that it protects the pi while the Generac is being started.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis