[Nut-upsuser] Need to unplug and reconnect UPS serial cable for upsdrvctl to start

Timur Tabi timur at tabi.org
Thu Dec 9 01:29:38 GMT 2021

I'm having trouble getting NUT to start properly after a reboot.  I'm
using a Raspberry Pi with the Octopi 0.18 image.  I can get it to work
after fiddling with it, but I think I have a few things messed up with
the installation.

First problem is that it appears that NUT does not autostart.  I didn't
see anything about that in the FAQ.  What is the standard way to enable
NUT to autostart, once installed?

Second problem is that when I manually run "upsdrvctl start", I get errors:

# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1 (2.7.4)
APC command table version 3.1
unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1 (2.7.4)
APC command table version 3.1
unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1 (2.7.4)
APC command table version 3.1
unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Now, if I unplug the reconnect the serial cable, I see this on the console:

root at octopi:~# unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
check the cabling, port name or model name and try again

Does this mean that upsdrvctl is actually running?

Anyway, after unplugging and replugging the serial cable, if I start
upsdrvctl again, it works but I still get a weird error message:

# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1 (2.7.4)
APC command table version 3.1
[d] unrecognized

What does "[d] unrecognized" mean?