[Nut-upsuser] Overriding battery.runtime.low

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:03:09 GMT 2021

On Feb 24, 2021, at 4:02 AM, Peter Bishop via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> I have an APC BR1500GI and want to run my devices for the longest possible period. Consequently I want to use the battery.runtime.low setting, sufficient to allow my devices to shutdown. The APC has a setting of 5 minutes for this purpose but I want to change this to 10 minutes, so have added the “override.battery.runtime.low = 600” setting to the ups.conf file. However, this override doesn’t appear to be causing the NUT setup to initiate a shutdown.
>
> Does the “override.battery.runtime.low” work for this purpose or does it just change the value being displayed by upsc? If it’s the latter, is there a way to achieve the override for the low battery setting? For testing purposes I changed this value to “2500”, switched off the mains, and monitored the “battery.runtime” value. It dropped below “2500” (and remained there) but the “battery is low” message was never generated.

The override.* settings can cover both cases. If you just provide override.battery.runtime.low, you are just replacing what is sent from the driver to upsd, and then on to clients like upsc. (In particular, this doesn't send any settings adjustments back to the UPS.) Since upsmon is watching ups.status for the UPS-provided LB bit (by default), this isn't sufficient to modify shutdown behavior.

The subtle difference in examples like this:

   https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2020-August/011977.html

is the use of "ignorelb" in concert with "override.battery.runtime.low".

I also ran across this thread while looking up info on the BR1500GI:

   https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2020-November/012172.html

I don't think we resolved the shutdown issue (or got debug logs to dig deeper).

> Required information:
>
>                 OS: Linux **** 5.4.83+ #1379 Mon Dec 14 13:06:05 GMT 2020 armv6l GNU/Linux
>                 NUT version: 2.7.4-8
>                 NUT installation: package