[Nut-upsuser] Formal definition of a UPS name

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Apr 5 15:49:59 BST 2022

On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 09:40:41 EDT Roger Price wrote:
> Do we have a formal definition of a UPS name?  For example:
>
>    upsname = "A-Ca-c-_"+ with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 15
> characters
>
> This means that a UPS may be called "_"
>
> Is that acceptable?   Must the initial character always be a letter?
> Roger

I think that was/is inherited from dns/bind, at least no network name can
begin with a number, which I found did not work for a hostname on my
local network even using hosts files. The machine it runs is sold as a
6040 milling machine but I had to name it sixty40 before I could make it
network.

A ups can and often is, a network device addressable by the usual ipv4
local address, so if you want it to be resolved it must start with a
alpha charactor. There is an rfc for that I'm sure but I can't quote it.

My systems are all usb interfaces, and are happy with the default "myups"
for a name, but aren't network accessible without going thru ssh first to
get to the machine its actually plugged into.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis