[Nut-upsuser] Maximum length of password

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Wed Apr 6 21:26:07 BST 2022

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, gene heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 03:39:19 EDT Roger Price wrote:
>> Is there a maximum length for a password in NUT?  Should I specify 15
>> or 31 characters in the grammmar?

> I would be far more concerned with the minimum size, make 'em work to find it
> if its a worthwhile target.

Finally I set the maximum length for a password to 63 characters, and I added a
note saying that it is a site responsibility to set minimum sizes, rather than a
matter for the grammar.

> On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 07:28:59 EDT Roger Price wrote:
>> For example a USERNAME value may contain accented letters.
>
> That caveat might be ok but not for american keyboards as we don't know
> how in 99% of the cases, to command one of these keyboards to generate
> that accented character.

It is very easy to type accented letters on an American keyboard.  I'm typing
this on a very solid 25 year old American keyboard, using Debian's Generic
105-key US International layout with dead keys.  E.g. USERNAME Napoléon

I'm sure Windows offers the same thing.
Roger