[Nut-upsuser] Request for Assignment

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Apr 7 10:43:41 BST 2022

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> It is a bit stupid but nut uses a different port for so long that, to be
> honest, I do not think that it matters any more.

It was not too bright of IANA to assign 401/TCP (ups) when 3493/TCP (nut) was
already available, but the problem was probably lack of visibility to IANA of
3493 (nut) as a UPS management port back in 2008.

>> Finally, the current assignment that uses TLS should be more than sufficient to
>> support STARTTLS on the same port, so no new assignment for a separate
>> secure port should be needed, regardless of in what range it is requested.
>>
> She was not wrong, if we factor in scarcity of port resources and the way STARTTLS works

Agreed, I said much the same in the I-D Section 7 "ÏANA Considerations".  I
would like NUT to be able to use "ups", and the names are not a scarce resource.

Roger