[Nut-upsuser] Shutdown ESXi and QNAP from NUT server on Raspberry PI

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Wed Jul 20 16:11:03 BST 2022

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022, Mike Schaffner via Nut-upsuser wrote:
> I have a Raspberry PI running NUT 2.8.0 talking to a CyberPower CP1500AVRLCDa,
> and all is working good there.

This is how I understand your setup:

    ,------,
    |CP1500|=======Pi  + NUT server + client   OK
    '------'       |
                  Lan
                   |-------ESXI + NUT client   Shutdown at 50%
                   |-------QNAP + NUT client

> I have a standalone ESXI 7.3 server that has the NUT Client running on it and
> a QNAP 6-Bay NAS that is all running a NUT client.
>
> When I pull power from the UPS I would like the ESXI server to shutdown when
> the batter reaches 50% capacity.  This is issue that I have not been able to
> get to work out yet.

> The setting in the NUT client is how fast to shutdown ESXi when it gets the
> lower batter warning.  But when I get that warning, which the UPS shutdown
> immediately

Could you show us the NUT client configuration on ESXI?  upsmon, upssched and
upssched-cmd if you use it.

> and I don’t have time to shutdown ESXI and then also have the QNAP shutdown.

I don't understand, surely the ESXI and the QNAP are independent of one another
for their shutdown behaviour?

> The QNAP only has a setting for it to shutdown after a certain number of
> minutes after loss of line power.

This is surprizing.  If the QNAP is running a NUT client, why is it limited to
just a number of minutes, and not using the battery charge?

Roger