[Nut-upsuser] something messed up ttyUSB*

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:18:07 BST 2022

Another "moderately worst case" scenario is to run the NUT driver as root
(with the option in its ups.conf section), at least that helps for ruling
out this permissions sort of issues vs. other moving parts.

Note that generally USB device numbers are not "bolted" and depend on
enumeration order as you boot or hot-plug things, so a ttyUSB1 of today
might be another number after some reboots. That's why NUT has "port=auto"
for USB connections, does not rely on devfs path names, and uses other
identifiers (vendor, product, serial number...) to see a specific device.
Vendors whose serial is always empty or zeroes seem very helpful in that
endeavour when you have more than one UPS ;)

Jim